Your home’s gutters are often overlooked, but they play a crucial role in protecting your property from water damage. In this blog post, a roofing company discusses the common problems with old gutters and the importance of addressing these issues promptly.
Common Problems with Old Gutters
- Clogging and overflowing: When gutters clog up with leaves, debris or even ice, the water can’t flow away from your home as it should. This leads to overflowing gutters that can cause damage to your landscaping and even lead to basement flooding.
- Leaks and holes: Old gutters tend to develop leaks and holes, allowing water to seep into your home’s siding and windows. This can cause water damage and eventually result in rotting fascia boards, which could compromise your gutters and roof.
- Sagging and pulling away from the house: As gutters age, they may begin to sag or pull away from the house. This can cause structural damage to your roof and even compromise your home’s foundation, leading to expensive repairs.
Signs Your Gutters Need Replacement
- Cracks and splits: Visible cracks and splits in your gutters are a sure sign that they need to be replaced. These faults allow water to escape and cause damage to your home’s roofing and exterior.
- Peeling paint and rust: If you notice your gutters’ paint peeling or signs of rust, it’s time to consider a replacement. This deterioration often indicates that your gutters are no longer functioning effectively.
- Mold and mildew: Mold and mildew growth around your gutters can be a sign of poor drainage, indicating that it’s time for a replacement.
- Water pooling around the foundation: If you notice water pooling around your home’s foundation after a rainfall, it could be a sign that your gutters are not adequately diverting the water away from your home.
Addressing gutter issues promptly is crucial to protecting your home from potential damage. Trust D&M Roofing as your go-to roofing contractor for all your gutter and roofing needs. Don’t wait for issues to escalate. Send us a message or call (330) 852-3800 to schedule a consultation. We serve clients in Dundee, Akron and Canton, OH.